Author: Rakesh Bal
AAM AADMI SUGGESTS NATIONAL CODE OF AUSTERITY AND OFFICIAL CONDUCT OF AAP MINISTERS
1. Recently, a lot of controversy has been manufactured by political parties and media re: AAP’s austerity standards and utilization of official perquisites of office.
2. Regardless of the humble and understated perquisites being availed by AAP ministers, even though highly justified and necessary for safe and efficient functioning, the media and politicians would rather have the AAP ministers live in JJ colonies and carry out their official duties in a bus!
3. In all the recent criticisms one has witnessed in the past few days, the main argument / grouse / weapon against AAP seems to be the DIFFERENCE between what was said by AAP leaders before the elections, and what is actually taking place after forming the government.
4. Earlier regimes have made aam aadmi so sensitive to political double speak that AAP leaders have to face the brunt of people’s cynicism at the slightest compromise with pre-poll promises.
5. The ‘word’ of AAP is so respected and believed, and has set such a high standard of commitment that the slightest deviation brings AAP’s very credibility into question.
6. To pre-empt this phenomena being repeated at national level, AAP should frame and declare a‘National Code of Austerity and Official Conduct of AAP Ministers and Office Bearers’, and have itratified by aam aadmi through at least an online referendum.
7. Such a code would become the sub-text to AAP’s manifesto promise of ‘Eradicating VIP Culture’ from politics and administration.
8. It would also lay down the rules for all AAP reps to follow throughout the country, standardise expectations, remove ambiguity, and also set an example to other parties every where.